Friday, April 9, 2010

Comparison Study: Long-Lasting Foundations (First Impressions)

Ok, so I talked my sister into being another little guinea pig to review makeup on because we have different skin type (mine is really dry, hers is more combination) and sometimes products work differently on different skin types, especially foundation.

I really wanted to do my first review on foundations because really without a nice base, none of your other makeup is going to look as good. And I'm not trying to say that you need to wear foundation to have a great base; if you have really nice, even skin then you can most definitely skip foundation. But for me, and for a lot of other girls out there, we don't have the best skin, so we need a little help in that area.

So for me, I have a lot of redness in my cheeks and forehead and chin... basically everywhere, and I get breakouts every once in a while so I like to use a foundation with good coverage to even out my skin tone and help to hide some of my acne scarring and pigmentation. My sister has a pretty even tone in general and doesn't need as much coverage as I do.

Review time: I picked up two long-lasting foundations to compare and review. I looked for the most inexpensive one I could find and the one that claimed to last the longest.

So the first one I got was Rimmel London's Lasting Finish Mineral Enriched Foundation.
It says it lasts for 16 hours and it's transfer resistant (so it shouldn't come off on clothes or napkins or anything) and that it's anti-trace (I guess that means that it blends well and doesn't leave that line around your face? I'm not really sure) and oil-free. On the back it says, "Transfer-Resistant formula looks freshly applied for 16 hours. Enriched with minerals to help energize skin. Comfortable wear." It was priced at $6.49 but there was a coupon attached to it for $1 off, so it only cost me $5.49 and it's 1 fl oz./30 ml.

Ok, first off, I got the lightest color they carry, 100 Ivory, and it's a little too dark for my skin. I do have pale skin but I definitely wouldn't say I'm the lightest person in the world, so it's kind of strange that their lightest color is too dark for me. The formula is on the thick side and it doesn't spread and blend as easily as I'd like it to. It has a really nice scent while it's going on, kind of fruity and yummy; I really like the smell and it goes away after a couple minutes so your not walking around smelling like a fruit all day but it's nice as your applying it. As far as coverage, I'd say it's pretty light coverage. Some of the redness on both me and my sister comes through, especially on the cheeks. It looks like we already have blush on without actually applying it, which is good, I guess, if you don't want to wear blush, but for me I'd like to control my blush since I have so much redness and on my sister, she has uneven redness so it looks a little funny. It's also a little on the cakey side in the dry spots, like around my nose and near my eyebrows. As far as it's claims: I've only had it on for about an hour so I can't say anything yet as far as its 16 hour wear; their lightest color is too dark for me so there actually is a difference between my neck and face (again, not exactly sure what anti-trace means, comment below if you know); and as far as it being transfer resistant: I just wiped my face with a tissue and there is a little bit of tint on the tissue but it still pretty much looks the same on my face so that's pretty good.

So the next foundation I got was L'Oreal Paris Infallible Make-Up.

It says it's "advanced never fail makeup," lasts for 18 hours, has SPF 20 sunscreen in it, and has Smooth-Blend Comfort (whatever that means). Other than that it just says, tap bottom gently before using and apply before sun exposure. So there's not too much information on the bottle. Anywho, it's priced at $11.99 and it's 1 fl. oz/30 ml. I got it in the shade Classic Ivory 603 and it's basically the perfect shade for me, a little too pale for my sister.

The consistency is much thinner/liquidier than the Rimmel one. It smooths on really nicely so less product is needed to cover the whole face so it'll last longer. It kind of has a scent going on. I think it smells kind of like pepper, but my sister didn't smell anything so maybe I'm just weird. The coverage is good, kind of medium to full, I'd say, closer to medium. It covers my redness and evens out my skin tone really nicely. There is a tiny bit of cakeyness around my nose but really not too bad. It's not cakey at all on my sister so it's probably just because it's a really dry spot on me. Also when we first put it on, it kind of showed up in my sister's pores on her cheeks, mostly because the color isn't quite right for her so it looked strange; but it's evened out and smoothed out just fine. I also really like the way this one looks better than the way the Rimmel one looked. My skin texture looks so much smoother and nicer and softer than it does with the Rimmel, same with my sister. Don't know yet about it's long lasting-ness but I will definitely let you know after using both for a while.

All in all, we both agree so far that we'd much rather use the L'Oreal than the Rimmel. We're both going to continue to use both foundations for a while to really give you full reviews on them. So be on the lookout for that in about a week or two. Not sure yet what we'll be reviewing next so if you have any suggestions let me know!

Love makeup!
Jamie

No comments:

Post a Comment