Tuesday, May 4, 2010

L'Oreal Double Extend Beauty Tubes Mascara Review

To begin with, I was SUPER excited to try out this mascara. After seeing the commercials and hearing all the things they promise I was really hoping for great results.

The first time I used it, I didn't really like it at all. It was really clumpy, it took a long time to cover the white from step one and it didn't really come out as black as I would have liked it to; it still seemed kind of gray when it was wet. It didn't really make my lashes any longer and looked like a clumpier version of the mascara I had been using (Maybelline Define-a-Lash) and it makes my eyelashes feel hard, like really fake that I don't like at all. Also, taking it off was a pain. You have to take off your makeup, then take off your mascara, and then wash your face. Plus it was really messy coming off; little bits of the tubes ended up all over my face, in my eyes and all over my sink. The good things I did like about it the first time was that it really did last all day long, it didn't flake off, and it doesn't smudge at all. But that was about all I liked about it the first time.

After using it a few more times, I started to get the hang of it a little better. First of all, it still does look gray when you put the black side over the white, but as it dries it gets blacker, so don't get discouraged if it's still a little bit gray when you're putting it on. Another thing I noticed is that the more white you put on the longer it makes your lashes look, it really builds up on the ends. The white is definitely the key to length. I also figured out a way that works for me to take them off better. I run a cotton ball under HOT water, then squeeze some of the water out of the cotton ball so it cools off and doesn't drip down my face, I then hold the cotton ball on my eye for five to ten seconds, and finally, pinch my eyelashes between my forefinger and the cotton ball and gently pull away. They come off pretty well and don't make as much of a mess as just rubbing downward with the wet cotton ball. This is what it looks like coming off:
It's kind of gross and the first few times I was really scared that I was actually pulling my eyelashes out. Thankfully, it's just the tubes and all of my lashes are still intact.

Here's a side by side comparison of how they look against my lashes with nothing on. Beauty Tubes on the left, naked lashes on the right:This is without even curling them and there is a definite difference in length. All in all, I really like this mascara. I like the lengthening ability and the way my lashes look with it on but I really don't like the way it makes my lashes feel hard and crunchy and I don't like the extra step in taking them off so I probably wouldn't use it every day, but for special occasions or whenever I need a little more oomph without wearing falsies, I will be glad that this mascara is in my arsenal.

Love long lashes,
Jamie

Upcoming Posts

E.L.F. Haul/Review
Essence of Beauty Brow Kit and Brushes Review
L'Oreal Go 360 Clean Review

No comments:

Post a Comment